Pahiatua
Around the World
New Zealand's Coromandel
Gold mines and railways on the Coromandel Pennsular
plus tunnels and many other industrial remains.
Search the site here

New Zealand's Coromandel Peninsula - its industries and transport

Click on the button to go to :-

    

                        

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.

Latest Photos

Thames

Judds and A&G Price foundries

Charles Judd Ltd were established in 1869 as manufacturers of Gold-mining and sawmilling equipment. Alfred and George Price, from Stroud, Gloucestershire, set up their engineering company in 1868, moving to Thames in 1871. They made all manner of machinery for gold mines and particularly railway locomotives which, of course, are world famous in New Zealand. The company closed in 2017 but is being re-started in 2018.

Moanatairi tunnel

The 2000m long Moanatairi tunnel was began as a mine but became the main route from several smaller mines to the crushing batteries in Thames.

Shortlands Station

Shortlands Station opened in 1898 witht the branch from Te Aroha to Thames, which took 20 years to complete.

Tararu Stream and Tinkers Gully

Tinkers Gully and Tararu Stream run up from Tararu, a few miles North of Thames. A tramway followed the Tararu Stream past a few roadside mines and criss-crossing the stream. Tinkers Gully has a number of small mines as it rushes down to join the Tararu Stream..

Golden Crown Mine, Thames

Golden Crown Mine, Thames, open from 1868 to 1886, produced $7 million of gold and silver bullion. The original shaft was 400ft deep and led to the discovery of the Caledonia Mine. The Manukua Mine (1868 - 1893) over the road was a chance find by 'Manukua' Jones and produced $1.6 million of bullion.

Paeroa and Whitianga

The gold extraction tanks were built in c1912 by the Waihi-Paeroa Gold Extraction Co Ltd and a stamp battery at Whitianga

Karangahake Tunnel

The railway between Paeroa and Waihi was built between 1900 and 1905. It was the main line to the Bay of Plenty until the Kaimai tunnel was opened in 1978.





The Karangahake Gorge

The Karangahake Gorge goldmines and tunnels

The Karangahake Gorge is an amazing area of old goldmines, tramways and tunnels, leading down to Waihi and the only just closed Martha Goldmine. I only had a couple of hours here but could easily spend a week exploring the ruins and tracks.





Waikino and Waihi

Waikino

Waikino Goldfields Railway

Waihi





All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins