Raroa Station, Wellington
Around the World
New Zealand - The City of Wellington
Gold mines, quarries, tunnels and railways.
Search the site here

The industries, engineering and transport of Wellington, New Zealand

Click on the button to go to :-

                        

                   

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.

Latest Photos

Cruickshanks Tunnel

Cruickshanks Tunnel is an abandoned tunnel between Maymorn and Upper Hutt on the Wairarapa line with a lot of odd bits and pieces to be found along a the old railway line. It closed in 1955 with the opening of the Rimutaka Tunnel deviation. Cruickshanks is named after the timber mill at the Southern end of the tunnel where part of the water system can still be seen.

Mangaroa Station

Originally sidings for Cruickshanks timber mill, Mangaroa Station was opened in 1878 and closed in 1955 when the Rimutaka Tunnel deviation was opened.

Kaitoke Waterworks

Kaitoke Waterworks

Karori

'Golden Crown' goldmine and Karori waterworks

Miramar

Underground rooms built into the bank on the Scorching Bay road at the Miramar roundabout.

Maritime Matters

Evans Bay Patent Slipway

Somes Island

The well-known tramway on Somes Island was used for transporting stores to the lighthouse from the bay below. However a lesser-known tramway ran from the wharf to the quarantine station and military area on the top of the island.

Kapiti Coast Tramway

Kapiti Coast Tramway

Staglands

Staglands

Silverstream

Silverstream Museum





Mount Kaukau

Johnsonville Waterworks

The reservoirs and pipeline tunnel were built in 1912 as part of the Johnsonville Waterworks scheme. The tunnel is hewn in solid rock and needed no lining.

Kilmister Tops

It seems the chimney was not part of a house particularly but built in the 1930s as a mustering station.





Other Wellington Industries

Quarries around Wellington

Owhiro Bay Quarry was opened in 1904 by the Tonks family who also owned Kilbirnie brickworks. After various changwes of ownership the quarry was purchased by Wellington City Councl in 1999, closed and rehabilitated as a scenic reserve.
Horokiwi Quarry and Kiwi Point Quarry are still working quarries.

Wellington's trolleybuses

Wellington's trolleybuses sadly finished service in 2017





Karori, Northland and Kelburn

Goldmines, waterworks, tunnels and viaducts

Karori Tunnel

The oldest tunnel in Wellington, 80 yards long, was built in 1900 and now has a weekly flow of 114,000 vehicles.

St Johns Dam

Tennis courts and a swimming pool opened here in 1909 but fell into disuse. A new dam was constructed in 1933 but was superceded in 1937 by purpose-built baths. The 70 yard long Golden Crown silver mine is just below the dam.
For more information go to www.journeyplanner.org.nz/moremaps/TeKopahou_Reserve_Walkway.pdf

Northland Tunnel

Built by 1929, the 100 yard long tunnel was used by the final electric tramway route to be built in Wellington.

Kelburn

At the top of the cable car line and the electric tramway, Kelburn developed rapidly and the original wooden viaduct was replace with the current concrete viaduct, opened in 1931.





Tinakori Hill

Kohatu Quarry

An old quarry that closed soon after 1912 following a fatal explosion in a magazine.

Thomas Quarry

The Thomas Quarry tunnel is believed to be a trial adit dug in 1906 for gold or silver and, obviously, they didn't find either. The tunnel stretches for about 40 yards before coming to a dead end. It also gets very low in places as my head will testify.





Trelissick Park

Kaiwharawhara Powder Magazine

Wellington's oldest standing stone building was once the Wellington district magazine. It was built in 1879-80 as a response to criticism of the practice of carrying gunpowder through Wellington streets to the store at Mt Cook. This magazine was built on land bought from Charles Schultze and designed by Charles O'Neill, civil engineer and architect. There were two separate magazine buildings, as well as a keeper's house, stables and coach house. The building was under continual threat from flood, and in 1890 the cottage was washed away. The army abandoned the magazine in 1921. It was then used by a variety of businesses, and much altered. In 2000 the just-restored magazine was partly destroyed by fire when a security van stolen in a robbery was hidden inside and torched by the robbers. Today the remaining magazine and part of one wall of another are being managed as a partial ruin by the Wellington City Council.

Waterworks tunnels

Wellington's water supply from the Karori Reservoirs





Wellington's Railways

Wellington Station, loco shed and quays

Wellington Station is the centre of a curious variety of lines, older and modern suburban electrics to Paraparamu and Upper Hutt, previously ancient ones to Johnsonville, loco-hauled trains to the Wairarapa and Masterton and the train ferry to South Island. There even used to be a trolley bus or two on the roads.

Wellington quays and loco shed

The Johnsonville Line

The Paraparamu line

The Hutt Valley line

Cable car to the Botanic Gardens and Kelburn





All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins